TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948599490

From: <>
Subject: TMG-L: Sharing the Wealth
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 22:51:30 EST

Joe Miller writes-

<< My real desire is to put my work down in a form that can be passed on to
future generations and make it enjoyable to read, so they will too get
interested and will grasp this PRIDE in our ancestors. >>

I contend that this sentence disproves his earlier one suggesting he is
'dumb'.

I think all of us are trying to do the same thing here. We are searching for
our heritage, trying to discover the lives of the people who made us who we
are. AND we need to pass on what we learn!

Unfortunately our work will be in vain if no one reads it and few will read
it if it is a dry research paper. I regularly throw out my copies of the
Register from the NEHGS without even glancing at the articles; most the
results of years of painstaking research.

I think it is extremely important that we research correctly and cite our
sources faithfully, however a computer generated descendancy report is
unlikely to be the best way to share your information with your family. I
described in an earlier post how I wrote my family history (currently under
revision). It's certainly not an answer for all of us but it worked for me. I
wrote the history on Word, documenting all my sources in endnotes but
including footnotes for things of general interest. I included a great deal
of history and many quotes from relatives, hearsay reminiscences perhaps, but
adding color to the narrative. I included poetry written by the family and a
few sketches made by cousins. I added family trees to make the narrative
easier to follow and ended with a long dependency report on all current
members of the family. This last section was excluded in the versions I
donated to libraries and archives.

I'd be interested in hearing how others are sharing their history.

Amy