TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948643210

From: <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Sourcing intuitive information
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 11:00:10 EST

"Each person will have tro decide for themselves how they will record data
such as geographic names which seem to change constantly. The more
accurate entry would be to enter the name of the place as it was at the
time of the event."

A good example is county formation in Virginia. At a certain time everything
(practically) in the Northern Neck are was Northumberland County; As
population built up along the Potomac to the west, Westmoreland was formed
from the western reaches of Northumberland; Then King George, then Stafford
etc. My approach is to always list the event in the county of name at the
time at the time of the record cited. Then, If appropriate and/or if I know
I then follow up with a note, memo, etc that clarifys the situation, such as
"land etc is geographically found in modern Prince William Co."-Dale