TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948662633

From: Lee Hoffman/KY <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Sourcing intuitive information
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 16:23:53 -0500

bob gillis wrote:
>In Douglas' case I would not enter Australia as I feel it redundant or
>other countries. I do not ususally enter USA although I do enter
>-Canada and other coutries.

As stated in my Data Entry Standards page shown on the TMG Tips & Helps
page of my website (URL below), I always enter a country name (with a
couple of exceptions for which I don't know it). In the case of the U.S.,
I enter "-USA". Note the dash or Exclusion Marker at the beginning of the
entry. This is a personal preference kind of thing, but with the country
listed the Master Place List sorts correctly (at least from my viewpoint). <g>

While many of my ancestors came to America about 300 years ago, much of my
data is for the U.S. But I do have some for outside the U.S. Germany,
France, England, Wales, Scotland, France, Switzerland, and Italy as well as
a few others (these primarily for persons in WWI, WWII, and later such
events) for many of the persons in my dataset. Since most are U.S., I
seldom include the Excluded data for Country in my reports.

But a few cousins have lines that only recently arrived in the U.S. So
for them I sometimes include the USA Country data.

A friend has an ancestor on one line that is a bit different. That
ancestor brought his family to the U.S. Some ten years later, most of the
family returned to their home country. A few years after that, my friend's
GF returned to the U.S. and married the girl next door to where they lived
while here. They then had some children and then moved back to the old
country where my friend's father was born. A few years later the GF's
family (except an of my friend) again moved back to the U.S. For my
friend to not include USA as the country would probably cause confusion.

So it really depends on the user's situation and preferences as to what
they want to do.