TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948808659

From: Lee Hoffman/KY <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Scandinavian diacriticals - how? or If?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:57:39 -0500

wrote:
>In a fit of altruism, I started working on some of my husband's Danish lines
>and am running into a small annoyance. His paternal ancestors came from the
>island of Moen - or actually, M [o with a slash through it] n. This
>character occurs fairly frequently and there are others that pop up such as
>the combined a&e, etc. Is there any way to produce these characters when
>entering data in TMG (using English as the base language)?? Or do I just have
>to live with it and then change them all in reports using wordprocessing?

TMG does allow you to enter "special characters" into your dataset in most
fields. When you want to enter such a special character, select
Tools=>Character Map from the top menu, highlight the desired character,
click on the Select button to place it in the Characters to copy field, and
click on the Copy button. This puts the special character(s) on the
Windows Clipboard. Close the Character Map window. Make sure your cursor
is where the special character is to be placed and press the key
combination of Control-V (or Alt-E(dit) + P(aste)).

This is described on page 229 of the TMG Manual under Memos (Character Map)
where it indicates that may be used only for "memo-type data-entry" fields.
Nearly all data that you enter in TMG is this type of field.

Also, you should note that the selected font should be Arial in order for
the selected character to be shown correctly in your dataset. Most fonts
will have similar characters in the same position in the character map.
But there are some fonts that are very different. For example, if you were
to select the Symbol font and its superscripted "TM" (trademark) character,
it would appear in your dataset as the "รค" character.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
E-mail:
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;