TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0948813879

From: "Virginia Basken" <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Do you limit relatives in your database?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:24:39 -0500

Hi all,
I agree with Andrew. I find that time constraints limit the amount of
information I enter on my database.
However, there are exceptions. I have quite a few lines that have been
pretty well dealt with over the years, with extensive genealogies written
about them. I would have to either enter them into my system as they are
written up in these publications, or if I wanted to be thorough, I would
need to re-research them all again. But there are some of my lines that I
have done most of the original research for, and I have entered these
research conclusions into my database (and sourced it, of course). If I'm
ever to publish any of my genealogy, it would be these folks, whom I feel I
have wrested out of the records, into the light of day, so to speak. Most of
my conclusions on these lines are my own, derived from church, civil,
probate, and deed records. So, naturally, I have more detail on these
ancestors. On some, I have even set up an additional one-name study
database, to keep track of all the (possible) relationships.
I hope I haven't confused the issue more, but am throwing these ideas in,
for your consideration.
Happy Hunting!
Ginny

http://www.bearclaws.basken.com

> <<Does anyone place a limit on who does or does not get entered into their
> data? For example, do you only include up to 3rd cousins... I mean, after
> you start seeing 8th cousins, 4 times removed, it
> seems that the relationships are very distant and maybe not substantial.>>
>
> Although I find the intricacies of more distant relations fascinating, I
> find I have little enough time to work on more immediate lines, let alone,
> as you say, 8th cousins, 4 times removed. I therefore took the decision a
> year or so ago to only go as far as first cousins to my wife's and my
lines,
> using NOTE tags to note their spouses and children, and to concentrate on
> the remaining in more depth. Given the doubling up of ancestors on any
> generation, that's more than enough for me, particularly with the
monumental
> number of siblings some of them seem to have had, and the huge diversity
of
> backgrounds and places, and I struggle to cope even so. It has enabled me
> to be a lot more focused in my approach, although after 15 years on and
off,
> I still haven't worked out who my paternal grandmother was or where she
came
> from beyond a name and her death in the Blitz!
>
> Andrew Kelly

TMG-L-DIGEST'