TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0949154264

From: Lee Hoffman/KY <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Using a generic Ancestral File source
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 08:57:44 -0500

Floyd & Sarah Della Corte wrote:
>On Feb 24 I wrote asking for help in a printing problem which arose
>while trying to use a generic source for the Ancestral File. On a
>one-generation report the source was entered the way I wanted it on all but
>one reference. On that last reference it reverted to "unknown
>compiler and the title "Ancestral File", which I had marked with angle
>brackets so it would not print.
>
>Lee Hoffman wrote that it sounded as if I was referencing two different
>sources. I ran a List of Citations, and all are listed as desired. I
>checked every entry and they all referenced the same source. I then
>ran a FGS with Endnotes. The first footnote was correct. Every other
>one was "unknown compiler".

You indicate that the first Source prints correctly, but others don't print
right -- mainly printing things that you have changed. You also indicate
that the incorrect Sources are printing things that you have marked as
conditional (i.e., used the angle brackets). I assume you made these
changes for the Full Footnote. Did you also make changes to the Short
Footnote. The Full Footnote Template/Pattern for a Source will only print
once. After this, printing of a citation for the same Source will depend
of a couple of factors. One, if it is the same Source (subject to certain
checks and options) and immediately follows the first citation (no other
Source citation has been printed) and "ibids" are allowed, then TMG will
print "ibid" in place of the citation. If it is the same Source and does
not immediately follow the first printing of a citation using that same
Source (i.e., another Source prints in between), then the Short Footnote
Template/Pattern is printed. The TMG Manual, p. 283 gives additional
discussion on this.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
E-mail: