TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-01 > 0949304373

From: "Mills" <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Initials after an author's surname
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 01:39:33 -0600

> Dan Trimble wrote:
> >I don't mind dropping the various higher degrees a person has amassed
along
> >the way - but titles are something else - will anyone know how I am
referring
> >to if I cite -- "Wojtyla, Karol"?<g>

Yep. And if you'll check at the Library of Congress website, they have
cataloged under that name the works he wrote *prior* to becoming Pope John
Paul II -- with no mention of his title <g>. But his works since that time
are cataloged as John Paul II, Pope -- under the J's -- with no mention of
his birth name.

In this case, of course, we're dealing not just with the use of a title but
also a name change. But I can assure you, if he wrote a book about my Showns
and I was citing it in my database or bibliography, I'd be mighty tempted to
point out that it was the Pope who wrote this book on my family! But should
I give it the highest level of surety?

(*No!* Don't anybody answer that! I'm jesting. No debates on the doctrine of
infallibility!)

Elizabeth S. M.