TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-03 > 0952282171

From: AlohaBev <>
Subject: RE: TMG-L: Adding Siblings Without Parents
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 12:49:31 -0600

Boy, can we ever get convoluted with this! <g> In this case, Ben, I've
been told, it would depend on whether you're doing genealogy or family
history. This is one reason why I've decided to describe what I do as
"family history" (since I research the lines of both my adoptive father
_and_ my natural birth father) because I don't like the hassle I get
online from the folks who object to my research being dubbed,
"genealogy." Again, _as I've been told_ (sometimes even forcefully), when
and if one hits an adoption in genealogy, everything comes to a screeching
halt unless and until the researcher can identify and document the natural
birth parents of the adoptee. As an adoptee, I don't personally agree with
this position because I think that position refers only to "pedigree," but,
as I said, I get tired of the confrontation over the semantics.

Keeping all that in mind and given only the limited info you have written
below, I would use the adoptive parents as the common parents of the
brother and sister to which you refer since you apparently don't know
whether or not the sister was also adopted or the surnames of any of the
natural or adoptive parents, but, of course, you may feel differently.

Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
<>