TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-03 > 0953606682

From: Thomas Kryssbek <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Negative (no luck) reasearch sources
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:44:42 -0700

What I have decided to do is to created a history tag called, for example,
GunterSearches. I then note all my sources searched on the Gunter family (both
positive and negative) as sources to this tag. I then attached this history tag
to any Gunter family member for whom it would be important to include a complete
listing of all sources searched on a given family surname. This specific history
tag becomes my research log (as I define a research log not TMG -- what TMG calls
a research log I think should be called Research Tasks). The history tag idea
seems to work well for me. This way all citations for any source I search make it
into my master source list.

In the citation detail field (along with other appropriate citation elements), I
list the date I made the search and make a statement as the what I did find or
didn't find, etc., and what this information or lack of information means in the
context of my research.

As a side note, I would really like to control the sorting of the citations as
they appear and ultimately print in my notes. They end up sorting numerically
instead of the order I search them; therefore, I loose the context the various
searches as it relates to the research process I went through to come to the
conclusions I do. This is annoying to me, much like when the witnesses sort
numerically instead of the order I enter them or wish them to be listed!

I would be interested in other ideas relating to this subject.

Thomas Kryssbek