TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-04 > 0955312900

From: "Virginia Basken" <>
Subject: Re: TMG-L: Unlinked Names
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 16:41:40 -0400

Hi Garry,
I use a couple of methods for this situation.
If there are not a lot of unlinked folks that I come across, I might include
them right into TMG, as unlinked individuals. I only do this, though if I
feel that there's a good probability that the individual in question stands
a good chance to eventually become a known member of one of my families.
Otherwise, I leave them in my paper file, or on a spreadsheet on my
computer, for future reference.
The other method I use is a one-name database. This is for when I'm
searching through all the folks I can find with a given surname. Then I use
my genealogy software to try and develop as many family groups as I can, in
hopes that I will begin to see a pattern. For example, I have an ancester
named Joseph Mann. This is a very common name in my neck of the woods, so I
collected all the information I could gather on the Mann surname in New
England and grouped them into families. I found that there were three major
distinct families with that surname in eastern Massachusetts and southern
New Hampshire. So, when I found the right one, he not only fit the
parameters, but I had his whole Mann ancestry back to 1670. One of the side
benefits of this (3000 individuals) is now I can share what I have learned
with other Mann researchers. I have several other of these one-name
databases, and I find them very useful.
I guess there's no "one size fits all" answer to this situation, for me.
Regards,
Ginny

http://www.bearclaws.basken.com