TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-05 > 0958164049

From: Kathy Lenerz <>
Subject: [TMG-L:] TMG-L: Historical place names
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:40:49 -0400

I'm sure this subject has been covered before, but please help me out
anyway! What suggestions do folks have for how to handle place names that
have changed over time? For example, my ggrandfather was born in 1848 in
Ollmuth, Rheinprovinz, Prussia. Today that is Ollmuth, Kreis
Trier-Saarburg, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany. Which should I enter as his
place of birth-- what it was called at the time of his birth or what it is
called now?

Thanks for any help with this,
Kathy Lenerz