TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-07 > 0964669611

From: Del Kahre <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] TMG - Clickbook
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:46:51 -0500

You are talking about two different things. In SOME web browsers (Explorer,
Netscape, etc.) you don't have to type http:// because every web page has to
have this. The http is what indentifies the information as as being a web
page. These "smart" <VBG> browsers know you need the http:// and know what to
do whether you type it in or not.

What Bill is referring to is a totally different process and application: your
e-mail program. Most "smart" email programs will automatically scan the email
message before displaying it to you. SOME of them look for the string
"http://"; in the text. If it finds it it automatically creates a hot link so
that you can just click it to go to the web page. Otherwise you have to retype
it, copy and paste it, etc. into your web browser address line. If you just
type www.whatever.com no links are created because without the http:// it
can't tell that is a web address. ALL email programs are DIFFERENT, they use
different methods to detect web addresses, and some don't even do this at all
(Like older versions of AOL's email program.) Not a big deal, just a nice
convenience. With so much different software out there it's impossible to
control what is going to happen on the other end.

Del Kahre

susanmartin wrote:

> Bob,
>
> I too went right to the web site with no problems. Still not too sure what
> this does but got to the web site just fine with just the www.
>
> Susan

This thread: