TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-08 > 0966198494

From: Bob Geldart <>
Subject: [TMG] Electrical storms ( was: Can't Print anymore)
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 13:28:14 -0700

>Help...I was printing a report when I lost power due to a sudden
>electrical storm. When the storm was over, I turned on my computer and I
>tried to reprint that same report.

A few words of advice -

Electrical storms can be killers.
Sudden unexpected shutdowns can really trash most open databases.
Power surges can destroy your PC motherboard, hard drive, and monitor.
When I first hear thunder or see lightning, I exit all programs, shut down
the system, then unplug both the PC and the phone connection to the PC.
Wait at least 1/2 hour after the last rumble of thunder passes by.

Surge suppressors on power strips can be a help, but I consider them the
last line of defense.

Don't forget the phone line, as a lightening surge will easily travel from
a distance down a phone line.

And if the forecast is for thunderstorms during the day while I'm at work,
I make sure I unplug the PC and disconnect the modem before I go out.

A friend lost his monitor last week while computing during a thunderstorm.
He was lucky that's all he lost, but it's a lesson worth a couple of
hundred dollars.

Bob
Maynard, MA

This thread: