TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-08 > 0967140386

From: DeAnna Burghart <>
Subject: [TMG] Fixing repeated out of memory errors
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:06:26 -0700

For all of those Windows users experiencing chronic memory problems, and
*especially* when those problems seem to be occurring more and more
frequently, you can probably eliminate many of them by cleaning out your
temp files.

The windows temp directory (usually c:\Windows\Temp) holds temporary files
used in disk caching in order to manage memory. For complicated technical
reasons I won't go into here, files in your temp directory actually appear
to Windows as if they're taking up RAM. If you shut down your computer
without going through Shut Down or Reboot, those files don't get cleaned
out as usual. Then new ones are created when you start Windows again. This
keeps happening over and over until eventually it uses up most of your
available RAM even before you start a program. I've actually seen systems
with 128 MB + and thousands of files in the temp directory that weren't
even able to boot Windows without an out of memory error.

The solution is simple. Periodically go into your C:\Windows\Temp directory
and delete every file (not folder) that you find. Yes, EVERY FILE. Windows
will NOT allow you to delete a temp file it really is using -- you'll get a
message like "could not delete file ~D1003KLM.TMP. Make sure the file is
not in use or write-protected." and it will stop deleting. Then just delete
everything *except* that file. Typically you'll end up with 6-8 files left
in the directory that were actually in use, but sometimes (especially if no
other programs are running) you'll be able to delete everything.

Note that this is the C:\Windows\Temp directory, NOT the C:\Temp directory
you'll sometimes find.

Let me repeat for those who weren't listening: There is NOTHING in the temp
directory that you need. NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL. You cannot delete
something in use. If you delete something that's needed later (even one of
the folders) it will just be recreated when needed. YOU CAN ONLY HELP YOUR
SYSTEM BY DOING THIS, you can't hurt it. Just don't delete the directory
itself. ;)

I sometimes get flack from people that think their Outlook attachments are
stored in this directory, but trust me, they aren't. The files you see in
c\windows\temp are just residuals left over from viewing attachments. They
have NOTHING to do with the actual attachments, which are safely stored in
Outlook's *.pst files.

BTW, Eudora users can avoid the problem of escalating memory consumption by
keeping your Inbox, Outbox, and Trash files relatively small. The contents
of these folders are written into memory whenever you open the program, so
if you have a bunch of stuff in the in/out boxes or if you never empty your
trash it can add up fast. Move messages to other folders as soon as you
read them so you can reference them later, and don't save messages you send
unless you really need to. Helps a lot.

DeAnna
DeAnna Burghart
SPILLMAN, HAMLIN, McCORMICK, BARRETT, STUBBART, VILES, ZULIAN
{If you have heard of Sarena VILES, b. in WI in 1851 dau. of Jotham Sewall
VILES, and if you know who her mother was, we should talk. <g>}

This thread: