TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2000-09 > 0968252455

From: "Terri Sprague" <>
Subject: [TMG] A suggestion for new users
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:00:55 -0700

When you first load TMG, it is going to take some adjusting on your part to
get the feel of how TMG manages data. I have used a lot of different
programs and NONE of them work the same. They all have a learning stage, and
you have to re-orient yourselves on how to "file" your data within these
programs.

One of my suggestions is to make a small GEDCOM (about 20-30 people) of your
original database. Try and make sure that you include at least one or two
people who have extensive notes, or memo's, or who have a lot of different
information. If you have done extensive research on one or two people, make
sure that they are in this GEDCOM. Pick a group of people that have a wide
variety of fields that you have used in your original program. It helps if
they are even semi-linked to each other. :-)

Import this GEDCOM into TMG. Put this into a new file (I use a different
directory for each database). Look at how the data was imported. What went
where it was supposed to? What didn't go where it was supposed to? A lot of
times, you can go back to your original program and make modifications to
how you have presented the data, to make your transfer into TMG more
efficient. Run some reports. Look at how the information is presented. You
can make as many databases as you need, to find the correct way to import
efficiently for you.

I guess, the main thing that I'm trying to say is to not use your whole
database to find out how TMG handles data. All that is going to do is
frustrate you, if it does not handle data the way that you are used to. Take
a small bite and see how it tastes. Find out if you need to correct the
seasoning with the small bite. Find out what you need to adjust in order for
it to come out the way you want it to.

I think I'd better go eat breakfast.

Terri Sprague

This thread: