TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-01 > 0979510365

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] TMG Manual
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:12:45 -0500

Richard Brogger wrote:
>Lee and others have sites with pages of help. Problems are
>solved daily on this list. If all these solutions were
>incorporated in one location or linked, I believe this
>electronic manual could provide answers to both new and
>experienced users.

It is one thing for us to expect Wholly Genes (or any vendor) to produce
some kind of tutorial and a reference manual (both of which _I_ think for
TMG are excellent although now a bit out of date). But it is something
else to expect someone to create a user-written "how to" book (although
many have said that they would buy one). There are two very real
requirements for writing such a book -- the knowledge _and_ the time. Many
here are very knowledgeable about TMG. But the problem is the time
required for such a project. In my case, there is just no time available.

The idea of incorporating the ideas from the various websites and from this
list is a good idea with only one drawback -- finding someone who has the
time to correlate all the data posted here or in the websites. If someone
wants to write an article about some part of TMG, I would be very happy to
incorporate that article into the TMG Tips website.

>Some efforts have been done in this
>direction already but with all the activity at Wholly Genes
>I think it may be best to wait until the dust settles.
>Maybe I should not assume that a version 4 manual would be a
>wasted effort. What do you think?

Agreed. However, the update information in the CHANGES.TXT file is often
missed by new users (and some old users -- even after they have read the
file). But if someone would revamp that information in the same format as
the present Reference Manual and send it to me, I would be happy to post it
on the TMG Tips website where they could be downloaded/printed and then
pasted in the user's TMG Manual.

>An easier approach might be to produce an index. If Joe's
>web site has instructions for making a Wingthing report, the
>index would included Joe's URL after the word Wingthing. If
>Sam has information about the same report but calls it
>Samsthing, the index can cross reference entries.

Okay! Sounds good. When you get it done, send it to me and I'll post it. <g>

Lee Hoffman/KY
E-mail:
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;