TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-01 > 0979552836

From: "Kevan L. Barton" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] TMG Manual
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 05:00:36 -0500

Folks,

The lack of a good TMG "manual" is a complaint I've had since I began to use
TMG. The reason given for not putting one together has always been lack of
time. I'm almost certain, however, that the time some people put into
responding to issues via this mailing list adds up to more than enough time
to put together a decent "how to" manual. A weakness of this mailing list
is not the lack of "how to" knowledge amongst the readers, it's filtering
out the unique mail that actually increases your ability to utilize the
program. A huge amount of data published on the list is actually redundant
as it is repeated, repeated, repeated, over and over and over in order to
answer the same questions queried by disparate and desperate users over and
over. This is a sign that the official documentation is far from adequate
in meeting the needs of its users. The responsibility to resolve this issue
rests wholly with Wholly Genes, not the users. The company relies on its
users too much.

I'm sure you'd all agree that TMG is a great product. Good documentation in
a "know-how" manual is part of customer service, and should, actually,
increase the sales of the item in the long and short term. TMG is also
known for its learning curve and this discourages some sales[as witnessed
by comments on genealogy mailing lists]. This is a marketing problem as
well as a user problem.

I believe "the lack of time", therefore, is really an excuse, not a reason.
I just do not understand how a company who markets software has no time for
user documentation. This is befuddling!

Cheers,
Kevan

This thread: