TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-01 > 0980105399

Subject: Re: [TMG] Oral Records
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 14:29:59 EST

In a message dated 1/21/01 1:09:01 PM Central Standard Time,
writes:

<< She claims he died
on the 17th. The SSDI says the 19th. She says she has
known of the SS error from the beginning and tried to
correct it but gave up. What value do you give her fact and
what value do you give the "official" record? In a
situation like that the entry should be explained to show
why you gave a certain value because, to a reader, that
situation will cast doubt on your values. Your explanation
will remove the doubt and, IMO, strengthen your assessment
for the surety of other facts.

Richard Brogger >>
Richard,
In this case, I would definately agree with you, but in this case, I would
still give the woman a 2. And maybe lower the level for the SSDI to a 2.
(one if it were already a two) and a note stating that the SSDI was in
error, and that the widow had tried to correct it and was unable to do so.
Teresa

This thread: