TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-01 > 0980714154

Subject: Re: [TMG] Special relationships
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 15:35:54 EST

In a message dated 1/28/01 9:39:58 AM Central Standard Time,
writes:

<< The second case is for the information on a family of slaves that I
discovered in a "property statement" for one of my ancestors. I have their
names and ages, and would like to preserve this in my database as well. Is
there an acceptable way to do this? Perhaps someday this could be valuable
information for someone else who is searching for their roots.

Doug Gordon

Doug,
I created a SLAVERY tag. For owner, I have the sentence "[RF:Owner] became
the owner of [R:slave], a slave <[D]> <[L]>. <[M].>" and for slave I have
"[W] became a slave of [R:Owner] <[D]>, <[L]>. <[M]." Like you, I track the
data of sales of slaves. I am not proud of my family (mostly my husbands
side, as my side was too poor to own land, much less slaves) owning slaves,
but they did, and these slaves are often named in land transactions. I have
never been approached by anyone who was researching my lines looking for
their ancestors, but if I am, I will at least be able to share what I have
found. Hopefully saving them some research time.
Teresa

This thread: