TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-04 > 0987217438

From: Joe Makowiec <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] File Problems
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 23:03:58 -0400

At 10:32 PM 4-13-2001 -0400, Patricia H. Enterkin wrote:
>Understand that the data file is (by default) a sqz 1 etc file. When I
>am ready to exit the program, I click on backup and exit or F10 to save
>and the "Save andBackup File" dialogue box appears. There is one
>soli_1.sqz file (my file name) highlighted and then there are sqz 1
>thru 4 listed underneath. Regardless of which file I choose I get the
>message that soli_1.sqz or 2 or 3 or 4 already exists and do I want to
>overwrite it? I click on NO since I don't want to overwrite the file. I
>want to make sure that my data is actually saved because I would like to
>back up my files to a CD. I don't understand why I have 4 sqz files and
>why they won't save. Also how do I get them to save to my back up
>folder?

Actually, the dataset is a series of 46 files (4.0d datasets), one of which
has the .tmg extension; one is a .mem file, and the rest are .dbfs
(databases) or .cdx (indexes). If you're interested, a description of the
files for 3.7 is posted at the WhollyGenes website
(http://www.whollygenes.com/).

The .sqz files you're seeing are the backups. TMG eliminates the indexes,
then compresses the database files into one .sqz file. In Tools|Options,
you can specify how many backups to cycle through. TMG then names them
<dataset>1.sqz, <dataset>2.sqz, ..., on through the number of datasets in
the backup sequence. I think the default is 4. It then goes back to using
<dataset>1.sqz (or the oldest file). So what you're backing up over is not
the dataset, but an old backup.

Joe
Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
mailto: