TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-04 > 0987217438

From: Joe Makowiec <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] File Problems
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 23:03:58 -0400

At 10:32 PM 4-13-2001 -0400, Patricia H. Enterkin wrote:
>Understand that the data file is (by default) a sqz 1 etc file. When I
>am ready to exit the program, I click on backup and exit or F10 to save
>and the "Save andBackup File" dialogue box appears. There is one
>soli_1.sqz file (my file name) highlighted and then there are sqz 1
>thru 4 listed underneath. Regardless of which file I choose I get the
>message that soli_1.sqz or 2 or 3 or 4 already exists and do I want to
>overwrite it? I click on NO since I don't want to overwrite the file. I
>want to make sure that my data is actually saved because I would like to
>back up my files to a CD. I don't understand why I have 4 sqz files and
>why they won't save. Also how do I get them to save to my back up

Actually, the dataset is a series of 46 files (4.0d datasets), one of which
has the .tmg extension; one is a .mem file, and the rest are .dbfs
(databases) or .cdx (indexes). If you're interested, a description of the
files for 3.7 is posted at the WhollyGenes website

The .sqz files you're seeing are the backups. TMG eliminates the indexes,
then compresses the database files into one .sqz file. In Tools|Options,
you can specify how many backups to cycle through. TMG then names them
<dataset>1.sqz, <dataset>2.sqz, ..., on through the number of datasets in
the backup sequence. I think the default is 4. It then goes back to using
<dataset>1.sqz (or the oldest file). So what you're backing up over is not
the dataset, but an old backup.

Joe Makowiec can be reached at:

This thread: