TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-05 > 0988709957

From: "Carol Simpson" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Early marriage records and established religion
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 01:39:17 -0800

Christopher Brooks wrote:

>When I was a boy we used to challenge each other to spell
>"antidisestablishmentarianism." The word refers to the eventual
>movement to overthrow state-sponsored religion in the various
>states.

Actually, it means the opposite of this.
anti- = against, opposite
dis- = away, apart, deprive of, lack of
disestablish = to deprive (a state church) of official sanction and support
by the government
establishmentarian = a member or supporter of the Establishment
-ism = a doctrine, theory, system or devotion to a system

establishmentarianism is a devotion to a system, the Establishment
DIS-establishmentarianism is the LACK of devotion to the Establishment, or
more specifically, to deprive the state church of that state support
ANTI-dis-establishmentarianism is to OPPOSE that deprivation of government
support, i.e. to OPPOSE the eventual movement to overthrow state-sponsored
religion in the various states. :-)

Carol Simpson
Homer, Alaska

This thread: