TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-05 > 0989344224

From: "Gail Roorda" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] on verso
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 12:50:24 -0500

Caroline Gurney wrote. Maybe this is a US/UK cultural difference?

<grin> By the time I went to school the dinosaurs were all extinct.
However, I distinctly remember carving "Op. cit" on my clay tablets...and I
went to a small midwestern college so I don't think it is a cultural
difference between the U.K. and the U.S I was also surprised to find that
the use of cf. to be outdated since I considered it a term in common use.
Not so supra, infra etc.... However, thanks to all the researchers on the
list for their input. I am not in favor of "dumbing down" the English
language! (Just Latin. <teehee> "Latin is a dead language it's very plain
to see. It killed off all the Romans....")

The fact that someone as knowledgeable as Ken Nelson (although my opinion of
Ken has only been formed by his mesages to the list) didn't know the meaning
of "on verso" indicates to me that this is a term that I am not going to use
in my work. However, I am glad that I didn't immediately respond to the
"circa" thread, becuase I was going to "pop off" with something like I AM
NOT lowering my standards so that people who do not comprehend the mening of
"circa" can understand what I mean.

The same would apply to not using "ibid" although as I once told Ms. Mills
when she was still participating on the list, I would vastly prefer the use
of short footnotes after the primary citation. It is much easier simply to
drop one's eyes down to see which source is being cited rather than
following a string of "ibids" to the original citation. Okay, <smile>I know
we are not supposed to be that dependent on a single source. One reason
that I always have "ibids" turned on (I have a long way to go before I would
be ready to publish even if my material was just aimed at a family audience)
is that you can immediately see when you have a lot more work to do...

<grin>oops I do need to work more on creating a "short story." I am on my
way to a novella at the very least...

Bye for Now,
Gail

> Caroline Gurney