TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-06 > 0993862251

From: "Paul Havemann" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Re: Digital Cameras
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 20:50:51 -0400

Lady Bonita <> writes:

> Paul Havemann wrote:
>
> > Lady Bonita <> asks:
> >

> >> he said that there were so many they would NEVER be microfilmed. So ..
> >> to make a long story short, I want to make sure I have a good quality
> >> picture of the documents not just for OCR but possibly for framing. After
> >> all, if I spend the money to go to DC just for this I want to make sure I
> >> have what I need when I return. Also, I was concerned that the documents
> >> may too fragile to xerox .. so this may be my only way to preserve the
> >> documents regarding my ancestor.
> >

> > Here is a link to a digital photo of an old document. I used a 3.1 MPixel
> > camera at its highest resolution.
> >
> > http://www.havemann.com/images/dc_brown,gm(1915).jpg (40K image)
> >
> > It's a page from a 1915 ledger book of deaths in Wanaque NJ. It had
> > been laminated & rebound at some point, which added to the
> > photographic challenge. It's one of the first I took, and not perfect, but
> > it shows what is possible.

> That is excellent ... what kind of camera?
>
> Bonita

It's a Kodak -- the 4800, I believe (I just borrow it). It has both auto and
manual settings, but I rarely need manual. The color LCD viewfinder is a
must with macro photography. IMO, the most valuable feature is a 4x
zoom when reviewing the photos.

--
Paul Havemann (, )
Havemann Family History: <http://www.havemann.com/>;