TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-07 > 0994917616

Subject: Re: [TMG] OT: - Standards for Archive of Photographs.
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 02:00:16 EDT

Actually, for archival purposes, you really shouldn't be using JPG. JPG is
a "lossy" compression scheme, and depending on how you have your software
configured, will result in images not exactly as they were scanned. I'm not
certain what you mean by .bmp not being clearer than jpg, but a bmp file will
be a better choice than JPG. The best would be TIFF for CD storage. For use
on websites, jpg is perfectly acceptable.

In a message dated 7/11/01 6:23:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
writes:

> 1. In what format should I scan and save for archival purposes, and what
> format for day to day use? [I realise that if I store a picture as a *.bmp
> file on CD I can retrieve it for processing subsequently. ]
>
> I personally prefer to save my pictures as *.jpg files. They are
> easy to
> edit and every graphic program currently on the market can read them. They
> also have better compression and tend to be clearer than *.bmp files.

This thread: