TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-07 > 0995413304

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Proof of Parentage
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:41:44 -0400

wrote:

> I am looking for suggestions on how others handle a pretty basic source of
> information .... "How do I know that the children listed for John and Jane
> Smith are their children ? ?" My usual sources are court records (wills,
> deeds, etc), census records, family bibles, etc.
>
> I would like to "formally" record how I came to my conclusions and I would
> like for it to show up at least in the Descendants Journal Report either as a
> separate paragragh or as an end note.
>
> It would be nice to be able to footnote the standard paragraph "The children
> of John and Jane Smith were:"
>
> How do others handle this situation

Not very well, I'm afraid. You can enter sources for the relationship
tag, which seems the perfect place to put them. However, getting them
to print in reports is very problematic. If you turn them on, they
appear after the name of the child, indistinguishable from the sources
for the name itself. I don't find that at all satisfactory. I've seen
one printed genealogy that does cite sources the children's parentage
as you suggest. The problem is, I find that I don't have the same
sources for all the children, so I don't know how to make that work,
even if TMG could do it.

I've never seen a suggestion on how to improve on how TMG applies the
relationship sources, nor have I thought of one. But the sad fact is
that having carefully documented all the parent child relationships in
TMG, I don't have a workable way to print them. I've been lately
trying to think of a solution, but so far in vain. I would love to see
someone think of a way to display these cites in reports that was so
compelling that Bob V. would want to rush out and implement it. In the
meantime, I keep entering them in hopes of that event <g>.

Terry Reigel

This thread: