TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-08 > 0997492726

From: "William M Roberts" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Suggestion for TMG - tag order
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:18:46 -0400

Ted

Just a simple answer to your question. Suppose that you have a census tag
for the 1880 census for an entire family and others that happened to be
living in the household (say there are 10 individuals in the household).
What number could you place in this tag which would make it sort in the
correct location in all of the individual screens in which it will appear?

Myrnice

"Ted Meikle" wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > I'm several days behind, but I find it interesting that the issue of
"implicit" date sorting of tags is getting a lot of attention.

> > If the computer system gives you few options (e.g. types of "events"),
then it may be fairly easy to define rules for how they are related. As you
increase the number of options, those rules would become more complex. If we
open the floodgates and

> [snip]
>
> > To try to program this complexity in a way that will never mislead the
user is not easy. Bob Velke has decided that it is not worth it, both from a
practical and a theoretical point of view (as Lee Hoffman has reminded us).