TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-09 > 0999548027

From: "Paul E. Lawrence" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] nicknames
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 15:13:47 -0500

This is something that has been discussed here several times. Some people
make the nick name tag the primary tag, and create a name-var with the full
name, therefore the nickname will be used in all of the sentences. However
this defeats you desire to have the full name on the Subject line. This is
something that UFT handled nicely with their "Common Name" field.

At 12:28 PM 9/3/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>In my crazy family, we have a lot of nicknames. My mother, Elnora
>Catherine, has gone by "Sue" since her birth (long story). My brother
>Harold goes by "Corky." In narrative reports I want to include these
>nicknames in the text because no one would know who I was talking about
>otherwise! However, I want to use their formal names on the subject line
>and when referring to "legal" events. For example: Harold married ...; but
>Corky won a prize. I know that I can set the Role in the sentence
>structure to reflect given name, first name, etc., but is there a code for
>the common or nickname? Or should I just forget the codes and type in the
>nickname when I want to use it?
>
>Victoria
>Snohomish, WA

>Please remove any "Reply-To:" address in your e-mail program. Including a
>"Reply-To:" prevents others from benefiting from replies to your questions.

Paul E. Lawrence

Lawrence Genealogy: http://users.multipro.com/lawrpaul
Includes allied surnames of Bumpass, Byerly, Daughtrey, Ford (Faure),
Harper, Harr, Wilhite/Wilhoit. Also researching Burnett, Daniel, McMurry,
Hardy, Hill, Bondurant, Stansbury, Towne, Kincaid, and Rose, and others.

User of The Master Genealogist (TMG) http://www.whollygenes.com/index.htm

Member of the Roots User Group of Arlington, VA: http://www.rootsusers.org/

This thread: