TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-09 > 0999633405

Subject: Re: [TMG] OT -- military info on gravestones
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:56:45 EDT

In a message dated 09/04/2001 3:15:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

> If anybody on this list is familiar with WWI terminology, I would like very
> much to know what the following, which I found on someone's gravestone,
> means:
> BAI. A. 314th F.A. 80th Div A.E.F.
> Though the stone is granite and in good condition, I'm not sure about the
> 3rd letter, which may be "L" instead of "I." (Could it be an abbreviation
> for "battalion"?) I would also like to know what "F.A." means. "Div" is
> clear enough, and I think "A.E.F." means "American Expeditionary Force".
>
> I'll appreciate your help.
> Joan Lince

The third letter is probably a 'T' as in "Bat". The inscription would be
Battery A, 314th Field Artillery, 80th Division, American Expeditionary
Force. President Truman was the commander of Battery D, 129th Artillery in
WWI.
Bob
Robert Evans Page

".... comes from a long line of dead men."
Lawrence Block
A Long Line of Dead Men

This thread: