TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-09 > 1001003799

Subject: Re: [TMG] Entering Citation Detail
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:36:39 EDT

I guess I agree more with the first writer. I like to keep my list of
sources as clean and generic as possible, and put details about what I got
from that source in the CD. For example, I have only one reference to the
SSDI. I then would put which version in the CD. For me this is much
simpler, and cleaner than having to keep track of hundreds of references that
are essentially the same.

Darrel

In a message dated 9/20/01 7:44:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
writes:

> In a message dated 9/20/01 7:24:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
> writes:
>

> > What do other folks suggest? I've been happy with putting the full
> citation
> > in the CD field up til now.
> >
> > Neil Smith
> > Jefferson City, MO
> >

> I personally only put page numbers, etc., in the CD field. But in the
> example you cited, I might put "page 47. The marriage book give his middle
> initial as M. This is the only place I have seen him listed as James M."
> I also use a separate source for each source of information, so I might
> have
> 500 separate sources for the 1880 census.
> I put the persons name in the Source Element field of the Census Source
> Template.
> I rarely have anything at all in the CD. Most of my information goes in
> the
> Source Element fields of the source, or in the memo field of the event.
>
> But if putting all that information in the CD works for you, and you are
> consistent, it shouldn't be that big a deal. I think TMG 4.0 has been
> designed to better use the CDs than earlier versions may have.
> Another thing I have started doing is scanning in the original and
> attaching
> it to TMG so that anyone can easily see the source and evaluate it right
> from
> TMG. It is a daunting task, that I may never finish, but at least the
> record

This thread: