TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-09 > 1001647097

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] RE: Entering Citation Detail
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:18:17 -0400

apn wrote:
>I have a great number of cemetery pictures, newspaper articles, census
>records, etc. to put in as sources. I've read about 'generic' sources--can
>someone explain exactly what is meant by 'generic sources'? I know what
>generic medications are but I can't relate that to genealogical sources!.

Source Categories and their Templates/Patterns in TMG are based on
suggested models (forms) developed by Richard S. Lackey (in "Cite Your
Sources") or Elizabeth Shown Mills (in "Evidence!"). Ms. Mills suggested
models (as written) call for one citation for each and every specific
reference. For example, you may be using a citation for the US Census for
a person. Since it is not unusual for many persons to be enumerated in a
single household on a Census, the strict adherence to Ms. Mills suggested
model would mean a separate Source record for each line number
(person). Most users prefer to reduce the number of different Source
Records in TMG. Thus a user would create one Census Source record that
might cover say all persons in a single state, county, enumeration district
or some other grouping. This single source would be generic in that the
actual Source Record would only contain enough citation data that would be
the same for all references and the specific data would be recorded in the
Source Citation Detail.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
E-mail: