TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2001-12 > 1008495160

From: "Wade T. Oram" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] TMG 5.0 wish list
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 09:32:40 +0000

In message <>,
Robyn Smith <> writes

It might be more fiddly to set up in the first instance, but once it is
there, the List of People report is saved and is always available for
re-use. Additionally, you can make the report look for more than just
marriage events if you wish by using a focus filter along the lines of:

Living Flag ` Equals ? AND
(Any Tag -> Marriage Group -> Date - Year Is Less Than 1910 OR
... other tag group date tests go here if required
Any Tag -> Divorce Group -> Date - Year Is Less Than 1910)END

Note: the brackets are important in this filter.

The first line of the filter is present to prevent the report from
changing the flag values of any individuals for which it is already set.
This is important since there may be some occasions when you know better
than the filter (if you really do have a great grandmother who first
married in 1909 and is currently alive at 106 then she might be somewhat
upset to find that she is dead!).

Of course you can change the dates (they don't have to be the same) and
add further tag groups as you require. However, be wary - under certain
conditions, event dates can be significantly later than the death of the
individual - e.g. when some is buried - and then later raised and
re-interred. The second burial may be decades after the first so this
kind of filter will not necessarily catch all 'non-living' people - a
false negative.

Under some (admittedly rare) circumstances, events associated with a
persons life can occur significantly before the birth of the person
causing a false positive. One example of this is with arranged marriages
where an agreement is made between two families prior to the birth of
any children whereby the first born son of one family will marry the
first born daughter of the other - such a 'betrothal' could happen many
years before the birth of one or both of the principals. This would
almost certainly be the reason that TMG does not make (too many)
assumptions about the living status from tags dates.

--
Wade T. Oram

This thread: