TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-01 > 1010203747

From: "Cheri Casper" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] punctuation
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 20:14:43 -0800

One consideration with the omission of punctuation is the possibility for
misinterpretation. For example, my husband's last name is Baz-Dresch.
Where no punctuation is used in data entry, his name is entered as Baz
Dresch; what subsequently spits out is that his last name is merely Dresch.
Then the Baz often gets shortened to B. as if it were his middle initial.
Thus his full name, John J. Baz-Dresch, often ends up John B. Dresch; so
much so that it is a joke name around our house. My daughter has a similar
problem. Her last name is Baz-Casper. I cannot count how much mail we have
received addressed to Bazzine Casper. Now my brother-in-law legally had his
middle name changed. It is no longer Rafael; it is just the initial "R"
with no period. So personally I think distinction is called for.

CheriC