TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-01 > 1011659322

From: "Carol Simpson" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Filing system
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:28:42 -0900

Doug,

I am doing something similar to Andy, only using TMG source numbers rather
than ID#s. I was won over by the "Clooz" argument to file by ITEM rather
than PERSON, eliminating duplicates. I don't want multiple copies of
things, as I already have lots of paper. Don't want to make copies for each
person included.

I subdivided by "type" as this is easier for me. Categories (file boxes)
include: letters and e-mails, books, probate (legal-size files),
military/pension (also legal-size), birth/marriage/death certificates,
newspaper articles/obits, photos. (I think that's it for now.) As
categories get bigger, I can sub-divide further. Within each box, they are
filed by TMG source #. It is rather arbitrary, but since all of my work is
in TMG, if I refer to them again, I know what specific source # I am looking
for. The categories are unnecessary, but I like it that way, and I can
usually easily compare two obits on the same person or refer to an earlier
letter form someone or something similar without looking up the numbers. I
could make an inventory list for each box, cross-referenced by person, but I
have not yet found it necessary.

This may not be the best for you, but it is simple and works for me! :-)

Carol Simpson
Homer, Alaska