TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-02 > 1013224501

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Index Codes
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 22:15:01 -0500

barbara wentz wrote:
> Since they say a book is only as good as its index, I followed this
> thread on indexing with some interest. It wasn't mentioned what happens
> to people not in the database. Some have said to avoid having children in
> a database, they enter the children's names in a memo for a particular
> census. If children's names, or anyone's name, is entered in the <[M]>
> part of a sentence construction, will they be indexed -- if they are not
> in the database? Or is it necessary to put Index codes in.

You will need to index anything (names, places, whatever) in the Memo field
that you want indexed. If you have someone entered in your data set and
also happen to name them in a Memo field (and want the Memo field entry
indexed), you will need to enter the Index codes in the Memo field.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
E-mail:
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;