TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-02 > 1013622027

From: "Cheri Casper" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Death to GEDCOM
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:48:15 -0800

The fact that no other software companies have picked up on the GenBridge
technology is indicative of the fact that they feel there already exists
adequate means to transfer data and/or the cost involved to use GenBridge is
prohibitive for them. We can argue all we want that their position is
incorrect and *ours* is best, but the fact remains that they if they haven't
adopted GenBridge by now, they are probably unlikely to in the future.

GenBridge works pretty good at bringing data into TMG. But for many folks
there is and will continue to remain the need for a viable option for
outputting data in a data transfer method that doesn't rely on paper and
keystrokes.

It seems to me that an elitist attitude has developed. By golly, we want
every possible convenience to get data into TMG but we don't want you to get
it back ou, or if you do get it back out we are not going to make it easy
and won't guarantee reliability and integrity. You can always move from
Legacy, UFT, FamilyOrigins, etc. into TMG, but once you have committed to
TMG, you have next to no options to switch back out of it (at least not
without great difficulty). But perhaps this is by design for obvious
reasons.

CheriC