TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-02 > 1013872919

From: "Gene Stuff" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Death to GEDCOM
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 15:21:59 +0000

>From: Lee Hoffman <>
>As for how a user is to know the limitations of GEDCOM and whether TMG or
>_any_ genealogy program will properly transfer any particular kind of data,
>all I can suggest is that one obtain a copy of the GEDCOM "Standard"...

Reading the GEDCOM standard would in no way tell me how TMG implements it.
The TMG manual and help files should contain information about what data
will export and what will not. Readers who are not interested do not have
to read it.

An excellent example of the confusion is the export of witness data. UFT
and TMG both implement the same GEDCOM standard and both allow (in fact,
encourage) the linking of multiple persons to a single event. In UFT I can
control which of these export. In TMG I can too, but there are a maximum of
two people that will export, while in UFT it is unlimited. The GEDCOM
standard does not tell me that.