TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-04 > 1018611823

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Damaged TMG project files???
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 07:43:43 -0400

Collene Pearce wrote:
> > Well, due to a set of computer circumstances, my latest, best
> > copies of my datasets are safe in FTST. As you know, that is where >they
> > must stay, as I can not recover them with TMG v4.0d.
>
>No, I hadn't heard about this problem. What happened?
>Why can't you use the project files??

The files cannot be used now (to add new data) because FTST is "read-only".

> >It is possible that
> > I will be able to
> > recover them with TMG v.5.
>
>Possible???? Not definitely??
>Have you asked the folks at WG??

Yes, they will be recoverable.

> >Murphy's law is at work here because since
> > this happened I have discovered a whole line back to the Revolutionary
> > War soldier, and a new cousin on another line, and she has not only new
> > information, but lives near D.C. and regularly goes to the DAR Library,
> > NARA etc.
>
>Why not just start a new project in another gene package
>and then transfer them over when you get your old files
>working?? You could convert the new project and merge
>it into an existing TMG one, right??

Yes, one could start a new TMG data set and then merge that with the old
data set that is now in FTST when TMG v5.0 is released.

> > At least that's why they are
> > safe in FTST.
>
>Safe in FTST??? FTST is a "data manipulation" tool.
>It doesn't store anything.

I think the meaning is that the old TMG data set is gone, but a FTST
project imported from that old TMG data set remains and is thus safe (as
far as that goes -- e.g. depending on the safety od the storage media).

> > I am being patient, but I will be even more interested in the
> > next release that I ordinarily would be <g>.
>
>Well, that's the 2nd best good reason I've heard. :-)
>I think I'd be trying to fix the problem, though,
>rather than waiting for the next version.

It appears to me that there are two ways to "fix the problem" -- (1) do as
noted above on a temporary basis or (2) give up and re-create the old data
set in TMG using the information in FTST as a basis. The first (with all
its awkwardness) sounds better to me than the second -- unless the data set
being re-created was very small. The first doesn't fix the problem, but
it does allow some continuation of work. As for the second, that doesn't
really "fix the problem" - that is just giving up and starting over. But
with a data set larger than say a couple hundred persons, I think I'd also
wait for the next version although I'd continue using the first method
until then.

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;