TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-04 > 1019291602

From: Ida Skarson McCormick <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Genogram chart of social & biological relationships
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 01:33:22 -0700

Darrell:

As far as I can tell, the 2001 graphics software add-on (Genogram Maker
Millenium) to the classic book by McGoldrick et al. does not import
anything <http://www.genogram.org/>;. GMM is written in Java. I have an
earlier (1999) version of this software.

There may be other software packages that print out the symbols (I didn't
look through all the hits turned up by Google.com). I would want to be
very sure that any such package was faithful to the book. For example,
while third-party software GeneWeaver will import a GEDCOM file, it appears
from the online sample to be quite inadequate as far as the standard
genogram symbolism is concerned.

I hope Wholly Genes can find a way to add the genogram to its arsenal of
report formats. The genogram is a great way to show the "household
snapshot" and other relationships that many TMG users would like to have,
while at the same time keeping the social and biological relationships
unambiguous.

Meanwhile, I would continue to add "(adopted)," "(adopted by John),"
"(stepson of Mary)," etc., to the name suffix field in TMG to prevent
inadvertent printing of misleading family group sheets and
ascendancy/descendancy charts either by me or whoever inherits my
database. Such use of the suffix field could also prevent accidental
misleading GEDCOM transmission. The adoptive name or the stepfather's
surname is often the principal name in the person's life (thus in TMG),
whether or not we know the birth name.

--Ida Skarson McCormick, , Seattle

At 09:56 PM 04/19/2002 -0500, "Darrell A. Martin" <>
wrote:
>Are you familiar with accepted import formats for the genogram software
>you mentioned, if there are any?

This thread: