TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-04 > 1019749684

From: Ida Skarson McCormick <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Genogram chart of social & biological relationships
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:48:04 -0700

Robin & Darrell:

There are some pages (pp. 48-51, 53-54, 62-66, 193) in the McGoldrick book
which address the household. An example of this is Peter Fonda (genogram
2.30) and the 11 households he lived in from birth and before reaching
adulthood. Households are designated by a free-form loop around the person
symbols and can include unrelated persons and the family pet. In the case
of a complex situation, as in Peter's case, the different periods of his
early life are shown with serial genograms.

The genogram symbols can be annotated on the chart by the Genogram Maker
Millennium software <http://www.genogram.org/>;. The genogram (5.4)
annotation for the family of Alexander Graham Bell (see pp. 118-119 in the
book) includes health/genetics ("deaf"), abilities ("musician"),
accomplishments ("invented telephone"), occupations ("actor," "taught
elocution"), psychological characteristics ("indomitable," "charming"),
intelligence ("very intelligent"), military service ("Royal Navy and
Colonial Service"). In other words there is much more information about
the family than one would expect on a standard genealogical
chart. Genogram annotation includes years of birth,death, marriage,
separation, divorce, immigration, adoption, leaving home, etc. It also
includes ethnicity and places where such facts contribute to understanding
the family configuration.

Emotional ties and conflicts are unique to genogram symbolism.

Major individuals, such as Alexander himself, take up more space with more
information on the genogram than do minor individuals. This is where the
free-form nature of the genogram is an advantage over box charts with
equal-size boxes. I see the genogram as an additional report in TMG, not a
replacement for any current chart.

--Ida Skarson McCormick, , Seattle

At 09:07 PM 04/25/2002 +0930, Robin Lamacraft wrote:
><snip>Genogram Maker Millennium will not present any of the normal life
>event stuff of a person - the stiff we can add to a VCF chart box. What I
>believe a family historian wants is a box-like chart where other geneogram
>symbols can be added. Neither package [GMM and Gene-Weaver] can handle a
>series of occupational and genetic-based issues at the same time, nor will
>they show how groups of people were living together (as seen in a census).
<snip>

This thread: