TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-07 > 1026860962

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Exporting Witness Tags
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:09:22 -0400

Gene Stuff wrote:

>>In a message dated 7/15/02 11:13:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
>> writes:
>>

>> > 3) All we're asking is that TMG export witnesses to GEDCOM. I have yet to
>> > see a reasonable explanation for why this cannot be done.
>> >

>>Since it wasn't done before the LDS said they were not supporting GEDCOM
>>anymore the chances of WG taking time to do this now (assuming Bob found a
>>way to do it that he felt comfortable with) that it will no longer be
>>supported are, to my mind at least, *very* slim. I can't see them taking the
>>time writing something for something that is on the way out- it would fall
>>into the same catagory as them doing an update for the DOS version of TMG.
>
>This is an argument I can understand, but not one I've heard from Bob
>Velke who argued that TMG "could not" export witnesses to GEDCOM. If TMG
>is abandoning GEDCOM then that would be a very important thing for its
>customers to know, especially since there is currently no alternative.

I think you took Andy's comments out of context. I cannot speak for Bob
Velke, but I expect that TMG will support GEDCOM for a long time to
come. As you say, in some cases there is no alternative. I don't expect
that TMG will be changed to export data that GEDCOM does not
understand. And GEDCOM doies not understand Witnesses. Since only TMG
uses the Witness feature, no other program can import it unless they do so
using GenBridge in which case that vendor can decide what to do with that
data during import time.

Now if the user places the information in the Tag Memo, TMG can export that
and other programs can import it. GEDCOM is designed to do this and most
programs will import it properly.

But since GEDCOM is not designed for transferring Witness data and no other
program knows what to do with Witness data even if TMG could export it
somehow, what is the point in trying to get Wholly Genes to revise their
GEDCOM export? This is like trying to get a car manufacturer to modify
their prior year's models to bring them up-to-date on the latest technology.

GEDCOM _is_ on the way out. TYhe LDS Church has said they do not plan to
revise it anymore. Thus no vendor will be changing their implementation of
the "standard". However, I still expect it to be the only transfer medium
(regardless of its inadequacy) for a few years to come.

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;