TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-07 > 1026941063

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Exporting Witness Tags
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 17:24:23 -0400

Richard Brogger wrote:
>Unlike Bob Velke, the makers of FTM have shown that they have no
>interest in 'fixing' GEDCOM or developing a replacement.

In my opinion, their interest is in the bottom line and not in
genealogy. The constant theme of most criticism of FTM is that there is
little support to the customer and that they almost never listen to their
customers.

Compare that to Wholly Genes where the President of the company calls a
user concerning the user's problems. Add to this the myriad new features
added to TMG as requested by users.

>I once made the suggestion that TMG should have export GenBridge
>modules. They would certainly solve the problem of transferring data
>to other programs. The problem with that idea is like what you want.
>Somebody has to pay for the time it would require. I do not want to
>pay extra for TMG so that I can export my data to dozens of other
>programs.

The problem with GenBridge export modules is that you would be violating a
copyright as those file formats are proprietary to other
vendors. Reading a file is not a violation of a copyright. So if I give
you a file created by a program in a proprietary format, the data still
belongs to me and I have control over who may see it, and only the format
of the data is subject to copyright.

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;