TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-09 > 1032194102

From: Diana Powell <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] TMG 4.x - Sentence Structure Questions
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:37:42 -0700

Cheri Casper wrote:

> Diana - The punctuation that is built into TMG causes me angst to no end. I
> have switched my sentences from [L] to <[LCI],>< [LS]> as I prefer to put my
> own punctuation into place where *I* want it.

I recently started playing with these too, and though I had not thought
of it as a solution to the "unwanted comma after a state-only problem" I
have found it useful in other situations. For instance, sometimes on
birth, marriage, death and burial tags I want all the locality info:
city, county, state to show on FGS and charts, but I don't want four
sentences in a row in register reports that say, "John was X'd in
Marysville, Yuba County, California.

By using the individual locality codes as you suggested I can control
the way the sentences read in reports, but still have the full locality
showing on charts. I hadn't played much with the individual locality
variables until someone on the list discussed them recently - whoever it
was has my thanks.

My only concern is that there was mention of some inconsistency between
program versions in the locality "assignments" if one was using L1-L9.
I would imagine though if we are using [LCI] or [LS] or [LCR] that is
not a problem.

Diana

This thread: