TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-09 > 1032314211

From: "Darrell A. Martin" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] v4.0d - Sentence construction and quotes
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:59:33 -0500

At 06:53 PM 9/17/02 -0400, wrote:
>In a message dated 9/17/2002 5:18:26 PM Central Standard Time,
> writes:
>

> > Also with respect -- as someone who's probably written 20,000 or more
> > custom sentences in TMG -- I'm concerned. The key is obviously that
> > any new features be enabled in such a way that they can either (1) be
> > ignored, or (2) adopted with minimal impact.
>
>Or, just so that it only affects global sentences, and not ones that contain
>custom sentences. Then it would be easier and faster for users to clean up.
>I haven't really followed this thread, since I am not that picky about
>things, but I sure do wish that one of the options would be for the citation
>to be a the end of the sentence and not after a memo if it follows the
>sentence. So in the case of:
>[P] married [P2] [D] [L]. <[M]> The citation would come before the Memo, but
>in the case of [P] married <[M]> [P2] [D] [L]. <[M2]> It would come after the
>first memo which was part of the sentence, but before the second one which is
>not.
>Teresa Ghee Elliott

Hi, Teresa:

I would not want it to work the way I understand you to be suggesting. The
problem is that a citation is not evidence for a *grammatical* "sentence,"
but is rather evidence for a TMG *tag* "sentence." In TMG parlance, a
"sentence" is the output from a tag's sentence definition. A tag sentence
could be comprised of fourteen grammatical sentences, or more ...

If one believes that a TMG tag sentence can be so clearly divided,
logically, as to require a citation to refer to one part of that tag
sentence and not others, then there are two options (at least) which are open.

First, and in my opinion most logical, is to create two or more separate tags.

Second, and I realize that there are limitations on their use, one could
create one or more embedded citations. I realize this would be awkward, at
best, in most circumstances.

In any event, I do not want my tag citations appearing anywhere except at
the end of the tag's output for the current report.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin
a native Vermonter currently in exile in Addison, Illinois

This thread: