TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-09 > 1032364535

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] v4.0d - Sentence construction and quotes
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:55:54 -0400

wrote:
> That is fine, IF I was allowed to have a [T] Transcription variable where I
> could tell TMG that I wanted this part to not be considered part of the tag
> sentence, but unfortunately, we don't have that option right now. I use the
> memo field for large transcriptions, I prefer the citation before the
> transcription. Now I have to manually move the citation in a Word processor.

Teresa,

IMO, TMG's design allows for lengthy transcriptions, either as exhibits or as
memos. In your case, I suggest you move the transcription to a separate event. A
custom event type would provide the flexibility to include the transcription in
the report or not, based on the inclusion or exclusion of the event type.
Putting the transcription in a separate event would give you placement of the
citation references that you want. The only other choice is embedded citations,
which allow you to choose where the citation references appear, but IMO they are
more difficult to define and use than regular citations.

If I was going to add anything new to TMG, it wouldn't be a [T] (transcription)
variable; I'd suggest a [:CITELOCATION:] code (with a shorter name) which would
control the location of the citation references. As I see it, what you want is
the ability to control the placement of the citation references, and the fact
that you want to do it because of a lengthy transcription is not the important
part of the request. Someone else might want to control the location for another
reason, for example, to allow for the placement of [:CR:] codes at the end of a
memo or sentence to cause a new paragraph after a tag but without moving the
citation references away from the sentence to which they apply.

Just my two cents...

John

This thread: