TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-09 > 1032381646

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] TMG 5.03 - A Rank Beginner
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:40:46 -0400

At 03:11 PM 9/18/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Wayne Morgan wrote:
> > Thanks very much. For this data set I have 4900 names, and I have
> another 10
> > datasets, or so. I am beginning to wander about the scope of the problem.
> > The effort to convert to TMG would appear to be limitless just for this
> > dataset, especially if I have to add articles to each Individual narrative.
>
>No, you do have the option to modify the default sentences for those tag
>types involved. If you did that it would clean up all the tags of that
>type at once. The risk is that occasionally you will want something
>different than the standard article. But if you find this case, you can
>easily customize the sentence structure for that particular case.

I slightly disagree with Terry in his choice of the word "occasionally". I
think that if you modify the Sentence Structure at the Tag Type level, you
will find that you will often want something different. For example, the
standard Sentence for the Occupation Tag is:
"[P] <was|and [PO] were> [M] <[D]> <[L]>"

If you change it to include one of the articles, it might be like:
[P] <was|and [PO] were> a [M] <[D]> <[L]>

This would work fine for a "lawyer," "barrister", or "farmer"but if the
entry was "attorney," or "agriculturist" then you would need to change the
Sentence so that the more appropriate article "an" is used.

A much more satisfactory way is to modify the data by including the
appropriate article. While this means more work initially, it works better
in the long run.

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;