TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-09 > 1032386950

From: "Caroline Gurney" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] OT - English Research
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:13:28 +0100
References: <>

Frankie wrote:

> Oh, and I also would be happy to know the best way to hire a good
> in England.


I would begin by reading the Society of Genealogists' leaflet "Employing a
professional researcher: a practical guide" which is online at:

Always go for a member of the Association of Genealogists and Researchers in
Archives (AGRA) - the professional body - see (a dreadful
website - 3 links don't work - but you can access the List of Members if you
give it time to load). For Evelyn, the Scottish equivalent is the
Association of Scottish Genealogists and Record Agents (ASGRA) .

Personally, I would go for Achievements of Canterbury,, the research arm of the Institute
of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies. This is because I have personal
experience of their skills as a student on the IHGS Correspondence Course in
Genealogy. They are probably not the cheapest but they are definitely highly
competent professionals, well used to tracing the origins of migrant
ancestors for people in the USA. I hasten to add that I have no financial
connection with them.

Caroline Gurney
Portsmouth, UK

This thread: