TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-09 > 1032433774

From: Joe Makowiec <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] OT - English Research
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 07:09:34 -0400

At 02:08 PM 9-18-2002 -0400, wrote:
>I would like to have anyone's recommendations on good books regarding
>research in England and of English records, especially before 1700.

Not a book, but two places on the 'Net I'd recommend are:

GENUKI (GENealogy in the United Kingdom and Ireland):

http://www.genuki.org.uk/

and check out in particular the "Getting Started in Genealogy", "Frequently
Asked Questions", "Researching UK and Irish genealogy from abroad" and
"Guidance for First-Time Users" pages. Actually, most genealogists,
including this one, could stand to go through these pages for basic advice,
even if you're not researching in the British Isles.

Also check out the newsgroup soc.genealogy.britain For you on AOL, go to
keyword "Newsgroups", click the "Expert Add" button, and cut and paste the
group's name from here. Then click on "Read My Newsgroups" or "Read
Offline". There's about 1100 messages in there now (you thought TMG-L was
message-rich?) and a lot of it won't be relevant to what you're looking
for. But, like this list, there are knowledgeable people out there.

For non-AOL users, if you have a news client configured, click on

Joe
--
Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe