TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1036373091

From: "James P. Colgate" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Descendant Reports with filters and sorting for progenitors v 4
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 20:24:51 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Terry Reigel
>Finally, you may need to control how many generations print for the
descendants of siblings if your dataset contains more generations on
some lines than you want to include. There is no simple control for
this. The report will want to print all lines to the same number of
generations. Your choices are 1) manually remove the unwanted ones in
you word processor,

This first one isn't really an option because the report's numbering system will get messed up when I remove a numbered person. Also, this could mess up the footnotes, so that I'd end up with an ibid to the wrong source.
>2) temporarily make the parent child links
non-primary at the point you want to stop the line,>
Where would I make the change? If ancestor "Dad" (direct ancestor) has "Son1" (direct ancestor) and "Son2" (who is not direct), I still want both "Son1" and "Son2" to show up in the list of "Dad's" children. But I don't want "Son2" to get her own paragraph one generation down (with a list of his 9 children!). So would I go to "Son2's" person view to make his birth non-primary, or would I go to each of "Son2's" nine children's persons view and make each of their nine births non-primary? Also, I don't really understand the implications of making a birth "non-primary" -- could anyone please explain what other implications this would have for me and my data?
>or 3) make a
temporary dataset that excludes those that you don't want to include in
the report.>

Some of the people I would wish to temporarily exclude from the dataset on account of their being children of siblings of ancestor, are (I think?) necessary to the dataset because they show up as witnesses in some of the sentences for the (primary) people who would remain in the dataset. So if I exclude such a person from the dataset, am I right that these sentence will print improperly?

This thread: