TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1036393729

From: "Chuck Wolfram" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Types ...?
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 02:08:59 -0500

> Would someone like to expound on the differences: Mills Types vs Lackey
> Types and or Custom Types. Are there manuals regarding Types avaialble
> and where might they be found....
> Thanks, J

If you have v. 4 you should have the manual. TMG's interpretation of
Professor Lackey's sources are to be found on pages 351 to 353 in Appendix
D. If you have the Silver edition, v.4, you still have the manual, but it's
on your hard drive--everybody with v.4 has it at Programs>The Master
Genealogist>TMG Reference Manual.
Lee Hoffman has the TMG templates for both Lackey and Mills on his web-site
www.tmgtips.com along with the way he thinks they should be customized.
Briefly, Lackey cites on a very general level, while Mills is specific to a
source. With the census, Mills makes the household the source, while for
Lackey the source would be the city or county census. Or depending upon
your preference it could even be the page in the census.
FWIW, my preference is to use Custom orientated to Mills, but to include at
least several of Lackey sources as custom sources among my source templates.
"EVIDENCE! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian" by Elizabeth Shown
Mills (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1997) 124pgs. softcover,
can be bought in almost any on or off-line genealogical bookstore as well as
Amazon and Barnes and Nobel. "CITE YOUR SOURCES: A Manual for documenting
Family histories and genealogical records" by Richard S. Lackey (Jackson,
Miss.:University of Mississippi, 1980) 94 pgs. soft, can be had at Amazon,
Barnes & Nobel, and fewer genealogical bookstores than the book by Mills.

Chuck Wolfram

This thread: