TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1036604782

Subject: Re: [TMG] TIP OF THE DAY-Setting sort dates
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 12:46:22 EST

In a message dated 11/6/2002 11:17:28 AM Central Standard Time,
writes:

> Another helpful tip. Thanks. One question -- in order to exclude info from
> a report (be it box, journal, or whatever), what should I type in? You
> said I think the "-", so should I type in the memo?:
>
> -sort date determined by 1880s census

James, from the TMG help file on exclusion markers.
Exclusion Marker

The display of all the information in a field will be suppressed if the field
begins with the symbol "-". This field will not be displayed on the Person
View, but will be visible on the Tag Entry screen.

There is an option when creating a chart (under Chart Options: Other) or
certain reports to specify whether fields marked with the "-" will
appear. This is an especially useful feature for charts, which have a limited
space for place names. To print fields that begin with a "-", check Show
excluded data when creating or editing the report. The "-" will not appear on
the View screens or in charts. The Full footnote, Short footnote, and
Bibliography template fields on the Output form tab of the Source Definition
screen also support the single exclusion marker. A template so marked shows
when previewed, but does not print.

A single Exclusion Marker at the beginning of a Sentence field in any tag, or
at the beginning of the Memo field in a Note tag, prevents the printing of
that tag and the export of that entire tag to GEDCOM if Show excluded data is
not checked. A single Exclusion Marker at the beginning of the Memo field in
any non-Note tag prevents the printing of that tag's Memo and the export of
that Memo to GEDCOM if Show excluded data is not checked. Single exclusion
markers can also be used in repository fields. When [REPOSITORY], [REPOSITORY
ADDRESS], or [REPOSITORY INFO] is used in a template, any repository fields
with single exclusion markers will preview showing the markers, and will not
print unless Show excluded data is checked. A single exclusion marker in
front of the Source Number on the Citation screen will prevent that citation
from being printed in reports or exported to GEDCOM unless Show excluded data
is checked.

Double Exclusion Marker
A double exclusion marker, "--", is also provided in the interest of
security. This marker is put at the beginning of a [Sentence] field to
designate that this tag should never print in a narrative report or chart, or
be exported to a GEDCOM file. Name and event fields marked with this symbol
will not be included on the Person View, in narrative reports, charts, or
GEDCOM export files. However, they will be included in "List of ...."
reports. Double exclusion markers cannot be overridden by the Show excluded
data option. They must be changed in the field itself. The Full footnote,
Short footnote, and Bibliography template fields on the Output form tab of
the Source Definition screen also support the double exclusion marker. A
template so marked does not show when previewed nor does it print.

Wholly Genes Software, Inc.
The reason I use the single - is that I would want it to print on family
group sheets if I was sending them to a fellow researcher. But if you never
wanted them to print then use the double.
Teresa Ghee Elliott

This thread: